If you’re looking for a Thanksgiving dessert that is different from the classic pumpkin pie, or apple crisp; look no further! This dessert not only looks beautiful, but the flavours are festively spicy and warm. The crunch from the pecan, the layers of spiced cake, and the lightness of the pumpkin cream make this cake the perfect accompaniment to a hot cup of tea or coffee on a cool day.
Yield: 16 servings
|1/2 cup||firmly packed brown sugar|
|3/4 cup||butter, softened|
|2||eggs, room temperature|
|3/4 cup||buttermilk, room temperature|
|2 1/4 cup||all purpose flour|
|1 1/2 tsp||baking soda|
|1 tsp||baking powder|
|2 1/4 tsp||cinnamon|
|1 1/2 tsp||ground ginger|
|1 cup||canned pumpkin|
|1/2 tsp||ground ginger|
|5 cups||mini marshmallows|
|2 cups||heavy whipping cream|
|1/3 cup||chopped pecans, toasted|
Directions – Cake
- Heat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using a paddle attachment, beat on medium speed, brown sugar, butter, and eggs until light and fluffy.
- Add the buttermilk and molasses and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, sift the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, clove, and salt together, and mix well.
- Add flour mixture to wet ingredients and mix on low speed until incorporated.
- Beat another 3 minutes on medium speed.
- Pour into cake pans and bake for 25-35 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
Directions – Cream
- In a large saucepan, combine pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, salt, nutmeg, and clove. Cook for 10 minutes, or until fragrant.
- Add marshmallows and cook over low heat until marshmallows are melted, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and cool completely.
- In a bowl, beat whipping cream until stiff peaks form (do not over beat).
- Fold into cooled pumpkin mixture.
Directions – Assembly
- Slice each cake layer in half to make 4 layers.
- Place 1 layer on serving plate; spread with 1/4 pumpkin cream filling.
- Repeat with remaining cake layers and filling, ending with filling.
- Sprinkle with pecan.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Store in refrigerator.